Tuesday, January 5, 2010

More Heard Museum...

I know, I know, I'm late again.  It's 12:52 a.m. here so I missed the deadline by just an hour.  I'm just having too much fun on this vacation.  We will be going home soon and we're trying to fit too much into our days.  


Going back to the HEARD MUSEUM pictures.  Here are a few more that I thought blog worthy. 





There is a beautiful courtyard that leads to other buildings, a restaurant and the sculpture garden.









The courtyard was lined with palm trees on one side.  








As you enter the building, there is a statue of an Indian that has been in the entrance since i started going there in 1980.  I don't know the name of it, but I love this statue.






This lovely fountain is like a round trough that leads the water into a pebble filled pond.  There are two of them opposite each other and it gives a peaceful feeling to the space.




Here's a close-up of the Indian statue.  No matter how the museum has changed through the years, it's like being greeted by an old friend.  He's still sitting there drumming on his drum and singing the same song.







Here are some of the treasures that are inside.  It was difficult to take pictures because they are not allowed with flash and it was much too dark to do without a flash in most areas.  I missed the room filled with kachina dolls (most of which are from the Barry Goldwater collection), for instance, and lots of other good shots.  But it was still an enjoyable day.




Basketry



Navajo Rug Flag




Harry Fonseca Painting




Sculpture of clay and hand blown glass


They have hundreds more interesting things in the museum.  I wish I had had more time to explore there.  It's a must see if you are in Phoenix.

No comments:

Post a Comment