Sunday, July 10, 2011

SAILING...SAILING...

OK, so Friday we decided to take a half day and go sailing on the Kalmar Nyckel, a reproduction of a tall ship that brought the Swedes to America in the 1600's.  What is wrong with me?  Don't I EVER listen to the weather?  Sometimes I am staring at the screen as they do the weather and Dick will ask me what they said and I won't have a clue.  My mind is somewhere else.  Needless to say, Friday morning the sun was shining brightly and I smiled as I looked out the window.  However, a deluge of thunderstorms were predicted for Friday afternoon.  Sailing time was 2:00 pm.  We arrived at the dock at 1:30 and took some shots of the prep work the crew was doing, then at 2:00 the crew announced that due to the inclement weather, the sail would be canceled.


The Kalmar Nyckel

Jordan actually did some work on the Kalmar Nyckel's dingy when he was in high school, as a school project.  As you see, it has since been replaced (that was over 20 years ago) by a super fast pontoon rubber raft.  Real authentic. What's up with that?

We have rescheduled our sail and will report back soon.  This ship has so many original carvings on it it would be a shame to miss them.  It is a work or art, manned by a partially volunteer  crew.  Should be a fun sail, as we can get as involved as we'd like.  Well, Dick can heave ho as much as he'd like.  I'll be the volunteer papparazzi.

Be back soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment