Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Gold Canyon, Arizona

The last week of our trip we were especially blessed to have my dear friend, Marge give us her house for the week.   I love my friends.  They are special people.  The house is just across the road from our old house.  Our plan was to drop off our bags and check in with our old neighbors, Richard and Sherry, who live across the street from our house.  We did hook up and tried a new restaurant in Gold Canyon where I had the best Walleye ever.

We spent the rest of the week doing things we love to do in Gold Canyon.  We hit the Apache Trail and landed at  - Wait!  it'll come to me - Anyway, you wind around switchbacks up the mountain to TORTILLA FLATS!!!  THAT'S IT.  The sign reads, Tortilla Flats, Population 6.  Believe it.  They have a post office, and restaurant and a store that sells postcards and  prickly pear ice cream...YUM!! We never missed a chance to get some of that when we were out there.  It's a beautiful drive through Canyon Lake with hills and valleys filled with saguaros.


BEAUTIFUL CANYON LAKE

Right at the center bottom of the first rock, in the water,  you can see a slight white line.  That's a water skier.  That's how bit those rocks are.


TORTILLA FLATS - POPULATION -6-

The restaurant is basically a biker bar where the bar stools are saddles.  The whole place is wallpapered with real dollar bills that people have signed and stapled to the wall.  See,  Dick takes me to classy joints.  The food actually sucks, but when you finished you walk next door to the post office and get prickly pear ice cream.  Worth the drive...  

We also got to try all of our favorite restaurants for the last time, while we were there.  Sad isn't it?  Well, maybe not the last time, we'll see.  

And we went to Laredo Cantina in San Tan Village, another favorite place because I needed to go to the Apple Store that is there.  A great meal and a lesson on my iPad2.

I didn't take any pictures of the house where were staying, but I did do some florals in the back yard, after our swim.  


Marge's Purple Sage

This is the plant that I miss most.  They grow into huge bushes like forsythia and they are brilliant lavender color.


Love Purple Sage.  I really regret that I can't have it here.

We played Phase 10 cards with Richard and Sherry all week.  We really missed them and it was great to catch up.  Hopefully, we'll be able to connect again sometime.

So all in all, the trip was a great success and badly needed.  You don't realize how much you need to get away until it's time to come home.  We could have stayed and stayed.  But it was time to re-enter the real world.  

I took thousands of photos.  And for me, whenever I can do that...LIFE IS GOOD.

Bye til next time.




No comments:

Post a Comment